Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Beautiful Book Bindings 1830-1910


I added two new reference links today. One is to a fabulous collection of book bindings--the University of Rochester's Rare Books and Special Collections online exhibit titled Beauty for Commerce: Publisher's Bindings 1830-1910. I added it to my list of reference links under Bindings 1830-1910. I love the way their photographs show both the front cover and the spine together.

So much so that I gave similar treatment to an interesting dump find from my collection. Below are two pages from Samantha in Europe by Josiah Allen's Wife (Marietta Holley) and illustrated by C. DeGrimm (NY: Funk and Wagnalls Company, 1896).


I've also added a second new reference link to a site called Gallery of Graphic Design. It's an amazing collection of magazine advertisements, dating 1930 -1969, conveniently sorted by advertiser (3121 of them!), illustrator, magazine, product and keyword. Check out this one by Salvador Dali illustrating for De Beers Diamonds.

Here the product is industrial chemicals but the artwork is anything but industrial. The tag line for this one is "No Sibling Rivalry" and the illustration reminds me of a Rorschach inkblot test! And here's a third one for the same company, Celanese, that's also got eye-catching artwork.

And finally, here's a very dramatic advertisment for Drano. Don't let this happen to you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you might appreciate this.
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/feb/10/tigers-humans-and-snails/?page=1

AnitaNH said...

Lovely article. I especially connected with the idea of "...living in altered landscapes not of our choosing."

I'm feeling that way about winter right now.

AnitaNH said...

For visual go here:

http://thetemporaryblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/winter-in-wakefield-new-hampshire.html