Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Tribute to Neil Welliver

I am so happy that I took the time to finish my tribute to Neil Welliver, one of my favorite painters of trees and the Maine woods. I mentioned it back in November in a post titled Sneaking Up On Perfect.

This piece is more 3-dimensional than I am accustomed to doing. Previous 3-D pieces include: Blanche Becomes Alanis (with ribbon and thumb-tacks), Caught in a Dream (dreamcatchers and beads), Egg Quilt (decorated flat wooden beads), Curious? (book cover), I Before E (another book cover), and Have A Nice Heart Attack (ribbon and cross).

The ground is chiri-covered cradled masonite. The central element is a wooden cigar box. Some knotty spruce rescued from the kindling pile frames a newspaper advertisement for Welliver's 2005 show at the Portland Museum of Art in Maine.

And I included a couple of ravens for my daughter, Marianne.

No comments: