Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Literature Review: Parallel Botany

Some posts back in a discussion about children's literature I mentioned that I had ordered a book called Parallel Botany. I have been enjoying Lionni's illustrations of his invisible imaginary plant kingdom but it may be some time before I get around to actually reading the book. And to tie up one more loose end, I should comment that Quiller's book "Color Choices: Making Sense Out of Color Theory" gave me more information than I can use right now. My most pressing urge is to figure out animation and I have recently submitted my "hit list" of interlibrary loan requests to my local library. If you have any favorite books on animation to recommend please leave a comment.

Media Review: Frederick Back
Last night I watched Disc 2. of The Man Who Planted Trees (Deluxe Edition) featuring the animation of Canadian filmmaker Frederic Back. If you have been searching, like I was, for a copy of his fabulously heartwarming short titled "Crac!" on DVD, here's where you can find it! "All Nothing" and "The Mighty River" also come on the disc. I saw them for the first time, and thoroughly enjoyed both, but there is something about "Crac!" that attracts me more. I think it is the musical sound track. Plus I really love the scene in the art museum showing the different reactions to modern art. It also made me think about the price we pay for progress, and of course, "The Mighty River" and "All Nothing"did that too.

Literature Review: Jorg Muller
And to digress a bit on the "price for progress" theme, another illustrator who excels is Swiss artist Jorg Muller. His two books, The Changing City and The Changing Countryside are actually unbound collections of seven 13x35 inch tri-fold prints of paintings depicting a particular locality through sequential (and dramatic) effects of modernization from the early '50's through the early '70's. Catagorized as wordless picture books, these two are winners for kindergarten through any age!

No comments: