Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Spoiled by Technology?

Yes, I definitely have been spoiled in some areas, though in others maybe not spoiled enough. What I am getting to is a contrast between how beautiful images look when displayed on the computer screen (where you can make them look even better with the help of Photoshop and view them in a slide-show with square corners nicely matted by black) and how annoying they look on a cheap rounded television screen masquerading as a DVD player (where they have been cropped beyond your control and their original recognition) ! Despite this, I look forward to viewing subsequent discs of The Lawrence Jordan Album. My favorite on Volume 1. (even with the annoying buzzer) is Our Lady of the Sphere followed by Duo Concertantes, Gymnopedes, Orb, and Carabosse (in no particular order) . One thing I learned was how interesting these are when viewed in Forward x2! It's easier to study the scene changes when the pace is picked up a bit. My least favorite is the ponderous "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" which was read by Orson Wells, dedicated to Wallace Berman, and funded by a grant from National Endowment of the Arts.

Wallace Berman was known for his verifax collages. Two of my favorites are this one and this one.

No comments: