Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Surrealist Kay Sage


I'm reading Judith D. Suther's biography of the painter Kay Sage titled A House of Her Own: Kay Sage, Solitary Surrealist (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1997.) The author describes how the "surrealist espousal of dream states, the non-rational, and the individual's access to the unconscious held the key to authentic creativity."

There's a nice slide show on YouTube showcasing Sage's work. I find her painting titled "Tomorrow is Never" of the shrouded skyscrapers enclosed by scaffolding (at 1:30) to be very disturbing. Makes me think of a last-ditch and now abandoned effort to escape the killing effects of a chemtrail laden atmosphere.

I guess I never realized how may artists are represented on YouTube. Other women surrealists I found there include: my all-time favorite Remedios Varo, Dorothea Tanning, Ilene Meyer (who is new to me and needs to be explored further), and Leonora Carrington.

2 comments:

MrCachet said...

Charley Parker posted another - my favorite - M.C. Escher today: http://www.linesandcolors.com/2011/05/11/m-c-escher-impossible-realities/

REAL surreal! Nice post, Anita. I'll check out your uTube links!

AnitaNH said...

I just took a look at Lines and Colors. Thanks for recommending it!