Friday, May 14, 2010

From Aldwyth to Zell


I recently read about the collage artist Aldwyth and her exhibit organized the Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art in Charleston, South Carolina. The artist is described as "a voracious collector, scrupulous cataloguer, encyclopedic archivist, sly social commentator and corrective art-historian" by artnet Magazine. She sounds like someone I would enjoy talking with!

My curiosity was aroused when I learned that the source for one of her collages was Zell's Encyclopedia. I was lucky to be able to find an inexpensive copy minus its title page. The cover says: Zell's Universal Encyclopedia - New Edition - Self Pronouncing - Unabridged. Data from the United States Census of 1890 is included following 982 pages of alphabetical entries with lovely engraved illustrations.

No comments: