Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fabric Design - Filter Tangent


Yesterday I spent some time exploring the Filters available in Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. I used a scan of a log cabin design that I created by pasting together little squares of fabric. I repeated and rotated the image to form a block


to which I applied various Filters at random. The examples below illustrate application of the Artistic filter called Cutout. (I've used this one before on my Perfect Square design.) Different results can be achieved through the manipulation of three variables: levels, edge simplicity, and edge fidelity.

Below is an example of another Artistic filter called Plastic Wrap:

And this next one is Posterization:


I've lost track of how I achieved the last one, but here are a few more surface treatments I can still identify:



Then there are applications which dramatically distort the image, affecting more than just the surface character of the design


like Ripple (above) or Pinch (below). The possibilities are endless!

No comments: