Thursday, January 29, 2009

Andy Goldsworthy

I've been an admirer of the natural sculptures of Andy Goldsworthy for some time. I first became aware of his work while working as a librarian in Topsfield, Massachusetts. And the bookstore at the Boston Museum of Fine Art stocked a number of books about Goldsworthy which I coveted for their stunning photos of his work with stones, leaves, flower petals, grasses, ice, and what have you.

Last night I watched Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working With Time (2003). Goldsworthy is filmed in the process of creating a number of ephemeral sculptures along rivers and shorelines. Through his commentary the personal philosophy behind his visionary but often short-lived structures is revealed. I came away feeling comforted. Despite the fact that the works of art I create in this short lifetime will not last forever, the fact that I can create them at all seems miraculous enough.

No comments: