Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday the 13th - Perry's Nut House


Perry's Tropical Nut House on scenic U.S. Rte. 1, Belfast Maine was one of my favorite stops along the beautiful coastal route through New England. The back of the first card reads:
The Original Perry's Nut House. Perry's Nut House founded on May 27th, 1927 by I. L. Perry. Started in one room and grew to its present size thru the idea that "If a man sells better goods than his neighbor, the world will make a beaten path to his door." Over one hundred exhibits in our museum, admission Free. Most interesting place on Maine Coast. Visitors are always "WELCOME"
Here's the text from the second card:
World Famous Nut Exhibit. Over 150 different nuts in this exhibit from the four corners of the earth. Visited and exclaimed over by thousands. Just one of the many unusual exhibits at Perry's Nut House. Admission Free. The only Nut Exhibit of its kind. Photo by Win Sommerfeild.
As a kid I didn't take much notice of the nuts, but that huge crocodile skin certainly caught my attention.


According to RoadsideAmerica.com Perry's was closed in 1997 and the artifacts were auctioned. It is reported that some continue to be displayed in new public locations. For example, the owners of the Colonial Theater in Belfast purchased Hawthorne the elephant and Baby Hawthorne (seen in the first post card) for $1,600. Hawthorne, with his eleven-foot-tall trunk, has been placed atop their roof, while Baby Hawthorne is now in the theater's lobby.

Perry's Nut House re-opened in 1998, minus its historical artifacts. The new owners have a web site that documents its fascinating history. Their fudge looks pretty good!

Happy Postcard Friendship Friday to you all!

9 comments:

p said...

nothing like a good nut house...
for some reason that 2nd photo looks like a slaughter house room to me. kind of creepy....but i like the first card!

MrCachet said...

Whoa! A REAL Nut House! I've never heard of such a place. I'm kind of attracted to the second card myself. It's the skin that ought to be a half dozen pairs of cowboy boots and a couple of hand bags that grabs me.

viridian said...

I stopped there with my mom, dad, and brother way back when! I vaguely remember the room with nuts from all over the world. The whole place overwhelmed us kids into silence and I'm sure my mom was grateful for that.

JamaGenie said...

Takes a nut to collect them, I guess. lol! What a great place the original museum must've been!

Happy PFF!

Snap said...

What fun! I love the elephant and giraffe. Nuts and fudge ... yummmm.

Anonymous said...

I'd almost forgotten it was Friday the 13th till I saw this!!!

Great post, love the card. :)

Beth Niquette said...

How appropriate for Friday the 13th--a NUT house!!! (grin) Gorgeous postcard, and I really enjoyed reading about this place. Happy PFF!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

It makes you wonder how the collection started!

Postcardy said...

I love roadside postcards, especially ones of quaint attractions like this.