Monday, November 9, 2009

Head Dress Attack


I must say that for me, blogging has helped to foster my faith in the connectivity of things. I sat here yesterday wondering how I could get an interesting post out of the fact that I was re-reading an old high school assignment from the dump when, before I knew it, I was looking at a fictional portrait of myself from a book I had never heard of.

Come to think of it, I did skim Hemingway's classic the night before the test. Thank heavens there was no question like: "What color was the sinister land?"


I was tempted to move on to Steinbeck, but then I remembered finding Birds & Men: American Birds in Science, Art, Literature, and Conservation 1800-1900; with 40 illustrations.

Gross numbers of birds were slaughtered in the name of fashion. And our fury friends were subject to physical violation as well as evidenced by Fig. 10. -- Black velvet muff; in the center of the muff there is a kitten's head (Godey's Lady's Book, November 1883).

Here is the author of this blog back in the unenlightened '50's sporting a rabbit-fur pseudo-cat.

No comments: