Thursday, November 26, 2009

Triangular Design


That triangle stamp from Obock really set me off in a new direction. I like the fact that a combination of six equilateral triangles will give me a hexagon. Brings me right back to my "Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilting days.

I love the patterns that can be created out of various elements. I have some portrait drawings which would make nice collages in a style similar to my second Blanche (which is in the collection of artist Charles Kartsonis). I will use the triangle patterns as backgrounds and as frames.

This technique is highly suitable for folks with obsessive tendencies. Since I don't have a punch for triangles, I trace them with a template using a black ultra-fine Sharpie. The outline is retained and when the triangles are positioned on a black lined grid, the double outline effect adds dimension.


I'm using a bead sorting tray to keep my colors separate. Each triangle measures 23/32. It fits on my thumbnail and my nails are short. This technique works best with thin paper. I'm using Thai unryu and another type called Chiri.

The technique is a quilters joy, really, with all these ready-to-apply shapes: custom colorforms applied to gridded 140# watercolor paper. Coat area with Golden's acrylic gloss medium, apply shape, and coat completely with medium.

3 comments:

MrCachet said...

Are you familiar with Sheilah Shaw? She has a 'book' called Kaleidometrics: http://www.amazon.com/Kaleidometrics-Making-Beautiful-Patterns-Circles/dp/0135145058

The first thing I thought of when I saw this post. I have a copy. I would be glad to pass it along if you're interested.

AnitaNH said...

Thanks, Dave! I'm not familiar with the book but I would love to have it. That is very kind of you.

LiT Web Studio said...

this is really fascinating...i know nothing about quilting but i really love those on-paper designs...i think they work really well as art pieces in their own right! the working process of something that is unfamiliar is always interesting to see...thanks for sharing these!