Friday, November 6, 2009

Little Scenic Views of N.H. - Part I.

I bought a set of tiny New Hampshire photographs some years ago in an antique store up in Ossipee for the picture of the Old Man. Here are the first ten in a set of nineteen. They measure 1.75 x 2.75 inches. Each one is numbered on the back in pencil.

No. 1 - Observation Tower, Indian Head, N.H.



No. 2 - The Three Bears at Indian Head, N.H.



No. 3 - The Basin, Franconia Notch, N.H.



No. 4 - Mt. Chocorua, White Mountains of N.H.



No. 5 - The Indian Head, White Mountains of N.H.



No. 6 - Old Man of the Mountains, White Mountains, N.H.



No. 7 - Hall of the Ships, Lost River, N.H.



No. 8 - The Guillotine, Lost River, N.H.



No. 9 - Crystal Cascade, Tuckerman Ravine, White Mountains of N.H.



No. 10 - The Flume Cascade, White Mountains, N.H.

So there you go, New Hampshire beautiful, even in black and white. I can see Chororua from the highway. Sadly, the Old Man is gone now, along with the Three Bears. (continue to Part II.)

12 comments:

Postcardy said...

It's too bad the old man disappeared. At least he lives on in photos and postcards.

Life Goes On said...

Woderful postcards, I love old black and white postcards.

Mary said...

How did the Old Man of the Mountain disappear?

Marie Reed said...

My goodness.. those bears are clapping! I haven't seen the Flume yet. Shame on my Mum as a tour guide:) I always seem to visit in the winter and it's closed then. I can't wait to lay my eyes on it though. It's delightful to see it in postcard form:)

AnitaNH said...

Thanks for asking,Mary. The naturally formed profile of the "Old Man" was a pile of rocks later reinforced by the addition of steel cables. Heavy spring rains caused the 40-foot stone face to fall in May of 2003. There is a very nice dedication page online at:
http://www.greatdreams.com/Old-Man.htm

Beth Niquette said...

So, where did the old man go? What fascinating photographs. Wow.

Happy PFF!

AnitaNH said...

"A handful of cables and epoxy on the rugged mountainside showed where the face once gazed eastward. Scrapes and shattered ledge along the slope showed the path of the fall. Park staff reported no fallen parts of the face were distinguishable from other boulders on the slope." [from greatdreams.com]

I guess there's no going back once you take the plunge!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Could it be the Guillotine Lost River? I've never seen such small cards - a great find.

AnitaNH said...

Thank you, Sheila. It is the Guillotine! Found another view at:
http://www.thejumpingfrog.com/si/1138176.html

Check out their site to see an amazing array of postcards and ephemera. I'm in a whole lot of trouble now!!

Aimee said...

These are really great! I didn't know the old man was gone. How sad. Nice that you have a postcard of him though!

viridian said...

The waterfalls are beautiful!

MrCachet said...

LOL. The Three Bears are gone? I suppose that Goldilocks is also a goner?

Great cards!