Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I'm Not There Yet

Last night I started watching the second of my new DVDs: "I'm not There." I wanted to view this mainly because I had heard about Cate Blanchett's eerie performance as Bob Dylan. I didn't know that so many other actors also portrayed Dylan in this film. The music was great, and it was interesting to travel back to the '60's and early '70's of my youth. But I was too tired to get more than half way through so I will reserve my final opinion for a later date. The film was a New York Times Critic's Pick and Wikipedia provides an in-depth article on Bob Dylan (born Robert Allen Zimmerman, May 24, 1941) if you want to reminisce about his songs and artistic achievements. I wish I still had a turntable!

...(one day later) Cate Blanchett is absolutely amazing. I'm starting to think that this is a really great movie although I still haven't seen it through to the end. It's a collage, really... of charachers, of images. Director Todd Haynes also did Far From Heaven starring Julianne Moore (who also plays a friend of Dylan) and if you want to digress, here's an ArtForum article that I found interesting. It discusses the director's use of color in Far From Heaven, and his skill is very evident in I'm Not There... like watching old news clips and looking at color-shifted photos from the 60's.

No comments: