Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Writing With Images

One of the most informative resources for critical discussion of contemporary collage on the web is Writing with Images: Toward a Semiotics of the Web by George L. Dillon who is professor of English Language and Literature at the University of Washington. Here is a link to the Table of Contents although starting with the Conclusion is not a bad idea. His section on Animated, Interactive, Multimedia, and Randomized Collage is of great interest to me due to my latest tangent. From here I have explored the work of Ian Campbell whose ambiant multimedia collages combine inspiration from Kurt Schwitters and Joseph Cornell in his own richly surreal textural reality. I especially like Push (click the lens to view the series) and Glimpses of an Afternoon (make sure you have sound on for this one). I had to look up "semiotics." Good word.

No comments: